Seeing your child grow is a magical experience. One day you see them lying on the bed, and suddenly they get old enough to crawl. It not only changes your perspective about what you need to provide your child but also makes you worry about their safety.
When children start to crawl, they often develop a curiosity to inspect everything in their surroundings. It includes picking things off of the floor, to embark on a venture to see where the stairs lead to. These spontaneous activities require constant monitoring, and a way to keep the children safe when the parents are busy doing chores.
Baby gates are a way to childproof your house to keep your child from entering a territory that can be potentially harmful to them. These gates are often installed on staircase entrances or exits to keep the child from falling off.
The article below will teach you how you can keep your child safe using a baby gate.
What is a baby gate?
It is a safety gate that helps in keeping your child away from potentially dangerous areas such as kitchens or stairways.
There are different types of gates available in the market. Below given are some of these types for better understanding.
- Hardware mounted gates
- Pressure mounted gates
- Extra wide baby gates
- Portable baby gates
- Baby gates with pet door
There is a lot of information available on the internet about both of these gates. Each of them has its pros and cons, and you should read in detail before you decide on opting for each of them.
How do you know if you need a baby gate?
Installing a baby gate is all about keeping your child secure. There is no definite time for when and if you should install these gates. It all depends on your need for this extra measure.
Usually, a need for a gate arises when you see your toddler trying to explore different places. You can install these gates to keep them away from danger by confining them in a specific area.
You cannot sit and keep on your child all the time. It is common for work and responsibilities to tangle a person in. Although, whatever you do, you will always find the safety of your child running through the back of your mind.
These gates help you take that load off as they help in keeping your child safe. However, these gates aren’t 100 percent safe, and you should still keep a check on your baby to make sure they are secure.
How to install a baby gate?
There are numerous different types and styles of baby gates that you can find in the market. Some barriers are relatively simple, whereas others are a bit more complex. It all depends on your needs, and you should not opt for a gate that is not suitable for the architecture of your house.
Installing a gate can seem very simple. However, if you are not careful enough, you may end up hurting your child because of a bad installation. Factors such as location and rigidness of the gate play a significant role in your child’s safety.
Some common examples of such scenarios are:
- Installing a gate which is too low to hold your child: Children are explorative in nature and do things which you expect the least. If you install a barrier that is of a lower height, your child can easily trip or climb over the gate.
- Installing a gate at the wrong location: If you aim to restrict your child from entering a specific area, you should always choose the best place to install the gate. If you install the gate at the entrance of the stairways but keep enough distance for your child to enter from the side, there is no use of installing the gate.
- Installing a gate that is strong enough: If you install a barrier that your child can easily overpower and push through, it does not fulfill the purpose. You should always ensure that the gate holds steady, and your child is not able to get through.
Different ways to install a baby gate:
There are three different ways of how you can install a baby gate. These ways help you put together a more durable gate to keep your child safe.
- Installing the gate without drilling: This idea is best for pressure-mounted gates. Since drilling can be an additional expense and might require you to seek permission, installing a pressure-mounted gate helps you get away from those troubles. You can simply put an adhesive on the wall to keep the gate from leaving any marks.
- Fixing into drywalls: This method includes attaching the gate with a stud on the wall. You can simply screw the gate with the edge of the wall or the insides of a door frame. Be sure to fix the gate properly so that your child does not pass through it with ease.
- Using a mounting kit: There are some gates that either come with or require a special mounting kit. For such gates, it is best to read through the instructions documents that come with the gate and install it accordingly.
How do I know if my child is secure?
Safety gates are a means to add in the security of your child. They prevent the children from entering into areas that are unsafe for them. However, there is no surety if your child is 100 percent secure.
Children are often able to find a way past the security gates, climb over them, or simply walk past the gaps between them. In either case, your child is always a step closer to danger and requires surveillance to ensure they are safe.
If you are looking forward to installing a safety gate, you should always remember that you will still need to keep an eye on your child to ensure that your child is safe.
If you’re looking for a gate to install at the top of the stairways, it is best to opt for a hardware-mounted gate. Pressure mounted gates can easily fall off if your child applies pressure to it.
Should I remove the safety gate?
There is always a time when you need to educate your child about something. At first, using a safety gate allows you to teach your children about the areas that are unsafe for them, and how they can keep themselves safe.
When you notice that your child has overgrown the age of the gate, it is time to remove the gate. Teach them about the world outside those gates. You should consider teaching them how to go up and down the stairs while keeping themselves safe at all times.
Additional ways to keep your child safe:
When choosing a gate, there are some critical factors that you should always keep under consideration. These factors help you eliminate tiny details that may end up hurting your child in any manner.
- Slates Spacing: Gates that have horizontal slates are easy to climb over. It is best if you choose a gate with vertical slates so that your child is unable to climb over the gate.
- Locks: The majority of the gates have a latch system that locks the gate. Remember to choose a gate that has a latch that is easy for you to unlock. However, not so likely for your child.
- Automatic locks: Opt for a gate that locks by itself when you pass through it. In case you forget to lock the gate behind you, this will automatically reinsure the security of your child.
Baby gates are a means to add to the security of your child. There are times when you are caught up in chores and find it difficult to focus on keeping your child away from a potentially dangerous area. These doors act as a safeguard in such situations and restrict your child from entering a place that can be unsuitable for them.
There are numerous types of safety doors that you easily find in the market. Similarly, each gate undergoes a different installation process. It is best to do comprehensive research about the door you need, and then decide to opt for it. There is no point in buying a door that does not keep your child safe.